Traffic accident in France caused by a vehicule registered abroad

In the event of an accident in France caused by a foreign vehicle, it is in principle the responsibility of the insurer of this vehicle to compensate your losses.

Each insurer in a country that has joined the Green Card System generally has a contact in each of these countries (see the list of countries on the COB website)

Usually, your own insurer will be responsible for putting together your claim and pursuing recourse against the foreign insurer.

The Bureau Central Français (in conjunction with its foreign counterpart) is typically responsible for intervening in the following cases:

  • If the insurer of the foreign vehicle does not have a contact in France.
  • If this vehicle’s ‘green card’ was no longer valid on the day of the accident.
  • If this vehicle was not insured.


What organisation will be able to compensate my damages ? Use your simulation software

The following menu allows you to identify the competent body you should contact depending on the location and registration of the person responsible for your accident.

Important: if none of these elements involve France, we will not be able to give you an answer.

error: Content is protected !!